Mar 26, 2011

I know this girl from New Zealand... and she designed this lamp!

As I’ve said before… design is everywhere and everything is design!
When I started working at designhouse and Marimekko I met Monique, a wonderful girl from New Zealand that was living in Vancouver with her fiancee (now husband!!!!!)Scott.
Monique is also a designer and we kind of understood each other’s obsession for chairs! so, when she moved back to New Zealand I asked her to share with design glimpse some of her work… specially her Lotus Lamp!
I’m completely in love with the lamp, it’s like having an art installation at home… I love great design and specially design that looks as beautiful as this lamp!
I asked Monique to tell us a little bit about the lamp, and if you happen to have any questions or a particular interest on her work you can also contact her at mcfurnituredesign@hotmail.com .

Monique, would you mind telling me more about the lamp? When did you come up with the design? What inspired you?
OK, so I designed the lamp in late 2005 and actually exhibited it at a store called the Urban Lounge when it was still a hand cut prototype.  Not long afterwards I was accepted to exhibit them at The 2006 Australian International Furniture Fair in Sydney in an up and coming designers section of the show called "The Edge".
The lamp was featured in Urbis (a NZ design mag) and Australian House and Garden Magazine.  
Then I left NZ to go travelling and put everything on hold.  I had hoped to try and get some Canadian stockists but my original bracket inside it doesn't fit many light fittings in North America, so now that I am back home and designing again I will work out a new North American bracket.  
I have no idea what inspired my lamp it sort of came out of nowhere, I did want to design something flat packed and easy to take to exhibitions overseas, and all of my work is quite multifunctional either you can use it for an entirely different purpose or you can change it around.




Currently the Lotus lamp is on display at Statements Gallery in Napier New Zealand along with my most recent design the Library Chair.

** thanks Monique for sharing with design glimpse!!! please keep me updated with your projects and feel free to keep sharing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment